Print

Dear ANE'ers

To criminalize Israel's worship of baal and her incorrect worship of
Yhvh, two prophets in the Hebrew bible,  Hoshea and Ezekiel, develop the
metaphor of Israel as a prostitute.  I think this image is relevant only
if one, specific deity is to be worshipped.  To test this, I would like
to know if images of prostitution are used to describe the neglect of
any of the ANE deities---ie Marduk, Assur, Ishtar, Shamesh, Enlil,
etc---and the worship of competing deities.

So far, I have not found a similar image in the ANE material.

Thank you,
irene