Print

This is an interesting approach.  Yet we know that the Priestess of Athena
and probably other women functionaries of the Panathenaia did share in the
sacrificial meat.  Whether they did so with men is another question.  The
meat was distributed in the Kerameikos district of Athens.  Did people
then take the meat home to eat?  If so, did a husband and wife eat
separately?  If not, where?

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Jim Miller wrote:

>         This is a long-shot, and it doesn't address the question directly,
> but I think this touches on it.  I noticed recently In Euripides' Iphigenia
> at Aulis how Clytemnestra inquired as to the preparations for the "wedding"
> sacrifices and feast.  She asked Agamemnon where and how she would prepare
> the feast for the women separate from the feast for the men (717-726).  From
> what I remember of pre-Hellenistic dining habits in Greece, even in the home
> women dined separately from the men.  IF the women shared in the Panathenaic
> sacrificial meal, I am sure it would be a separate feast in a separate
> location.
>         So, if there is no reference to preparing and situating this women's
> feast, my guess is that it didn't occur at all.
> Jim Miller

> 'SUBscribe ANAHITA Firstname Lastname' to
> the list owners at the generic address:

> Diotima's address: http://www.uky.edu/ArtsSciences/Classics/gender.html

Marilyn Y. Goldberg, Chair                      TEL: 410-455-2970
Dept.of Ancient Studies                         (Dept.   455-6265)
University of Maryland Baltimore County         FAX: 410-455-1027
1000 Hilltop Circle                 http://research.umbc.edu/ancs/
Baltimore, MD 21250                     email: [log in to unmask]