Print

>To quote scholar of religion Rita Gross, "We need to know, whenever possible,
>what these [religious] activities mean to women, how women explain and
>understand what they are doing" (Gross 1996: 81).

The "whenever possible" relates to the problems facing historians, it seems
to me.

As to matrilocality, it has a number of concrete benefits to women:
built-in solidarity against battery and rape by husbands; social motherhood
network of female kin (as opposed to strangers or competing co-wives),
child custody, property rights, and in some cases also sexual freedoms
denied to patrilocal women.

Max Dashu
Suppressed Histories Archives